As an IT staffing agency, our clients are very important to us. They keep us going. They expect us to deliver qualified, passionate, and hardworking candidates in order to keep themselves going. The relationship we have with a client is a mutually beneficial one.
And we depend on you, potential tech job candidate – to show us what you’re made of.
At MAS Technology Staffing, we interview a LOT of candidates. We want to share with you our tips on how to interview like a pro:
- Dress like a boss. It’s a job interview. Please don’t show up wearing a wrinkly t-shirt and flip flops. We are human, and we make snap judgments (often based on appearances). So press those khakis, shine those shoes, and starch your collar. Dress to impress.
- Be on time! Actually, scratch that. Be 10 minutes early.
- Be nice to whoever is at the front desk. Can’t stress this enough. They WILL tell us if you were rude to them. They will also tell us if you were polite. We like polite.
- Eye contact, eye contact, eye contact. It shows a lot. Same goes for a firm handshake and a sunny disposition.
- Be prepared. You may have already sent us your resume, but bring a copy with you. Extras like portfolios of past accomplishments and projects are a bonus, too, and make you memorable. You may find it helpful to do a mock-interview with a friend or family member.
- Do your research. Read up on the company you’re interviewing for. Know their background, what it is they do, and how they do it. We’ll know if you did your research or not. Also, read the job description over again before you walk into the interview. The best possible thing is to be genuinely interested in the job you’re applying for.
- Ask questions. Ask about the company’s long term goals and past accomplishments. Again, it’s another way to make yourself memorable.
- Send a thank you. It doesn’t necessarily have to be a hand written note sent snail mail style – but just sending an email the next day thanking the interviewer for their time and the opportunity to meet with them goes a long way.
All you can do is be yourself. Take a deep breath and relax. Nerves are okay, but being so nervous you can’t form words is not a good look. Be cool, calm and confident – it will show, and we’ll be impressed.